Thursday, October 21, 2010

Academy follow up: Vintage Hair and Sexy Chairs

Hello ladies,

Sorry I've been so busy lately that it's taken me a while to do a follow up of our recent classes at Peaches 'n' Gin Burlesque Academy, so I'm combining the last two weeks!

Vintage Hair

Sapphire took us through some vintage hair techniques, and I know a lot of you left feeling a little frustrated! Don't despair, it just takes patience and practice. Soon a vintage do will become your 5 minute throw together and everyone will think you are pretty spiffy! To get you inspired, here are some of my favourite photos of vintage dos-just a few (click on the links below the images to see their source). For inspiration, typing "vintage hair" or "pin up hair" into Google images will bring you hours of perusing entertainment.


Image sourced here



Image sourced here



Image sourced here


There are a lot of online tutorials which are incredibly useful. Here are a couple you can play around with.

This works for shorter hair:



A more in-depth tutorial:



And this gal has stacks of awesome tutorials, I recommend watching them all!



Just remember everyone is different, and different methods work for different kinds of hair. It's a good idea to get a grasp of the basics and then adapt styles to suit your own hair, rather then rigidly following a particular style. At least, that's what I found works for me. There are also a lot of books on the matter, a search on Amazon will turn up many.

Just remember, practice makes perfect!

Sexy Chairs

This week I took the Academy ladies through a saucy chair routine. Remember if you are going to do a chair routine you need to have a solid, sturdy chair that is not going to fall over or twist when you try and do something fancy on it. Second hand stores are a great place to find sturdy, unique chairs. I recommend McKay's Mart on Unley Rd, they have fabulous bits and pieces. But there are many fabulous stores around.
Here are a few of the clips I mentioned in class, to get you off your arse! (or back on it, as it were....)



Mein Herr in Cabaret...my absolute favourite of all time!
I can't embed it so click here to watch the video

And here is one from Australia's own Sugar Blue Burlesque, based in Perth.



Peaches 'n' Gin Burlesque
Adelaide's dynamite duo!
info@peachesngin.com
Ph 0431 949 703
Got a question about Peaches 'n' Gin or anything burlesque related? Send us an email and we'll answer it here.

1 comment:

  1. Mein Herr is possibly my favourite number from Cabaret. =D
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete